June 21, 2011

Home Again, Home Again

Where was I?  Oh yes, we had gotten to Fenway, seen the baseball game and were about to leave...

Being fairweather fans and rather tired of sitting, we decided to leave at the end of the 8th inning as the Sox were down by 2 runs.  This way we could stop at the Beer Works and have a drink before catching the train back home.  (I was driving home from the train station so I had iced tea). 

We got to see the end of the game from the bar (they lost - what a surprise).  After the game finished and the crowd piled in, it once again got way too loud in the bar.  After one drink, we left to hang out by the train tracks with a huge crowd of  people even though the train wasn't due for about 30 minutes.  It was nice weather for hanging in the parking lot and it didn't hurt the ears. 

Of course the train was late by about 15 minutes - not bad. I guess it was bound to be late because that's the kind of day it was.  It was the last train out so it was very full. It was also pretty dirty with all kinds of empty food and drink containers on the floor. People are such pigs - they couldn't take the trash and throw it out? No... they left it on the train. Sheesh.  Oh well, at least we got seats. 

OTOH - we had a car full of early twenties - not high school but still young - kids.  Girls with screechy voices, boys showing off.  Definitely a little worse for whatever they had been drinking or smoking... 

One of the boys kept getting up to try and dance in the aisle. They were egging on another boy to do the same. ("let's have a contest"... hooboy, let's not!)  The one kid even tried to do a cartwheel.  Yes he landed part way on a seat looking like an idiot. 

The conductor had to try and keep order. He kept asking them to sit down and to watch their language because there were children in the car. They'd just wait til he left and get right back up again. This time there were no young children misbehaving - only these whacked out kids.  

The other weird thing is, this was a local train, and all the stations were announced (by the clear robotic woman voice not the unhearable scratchy tinny voice).  Yet there were at least one or two people at each stop who nearly didn't make it off the train because they were getting to the exit doors just as we were about to leave.  For one guy they even stopped the train after it started moving!  (that would never happen for me!)

Then we stopped at a nothing station called Wellsley Falls.  By nothing I mean no one seemed to get off at all that I could see.  Oddly once we stopped, the train just sat there and sat... and sat... after about 10 minutes the conductor came into the car and said:

"Sorry folks, but we've had some trouble with a passenger up front.  The police are on the way and we'll get going once they pick him up". 

Ooookay fine.  

That one got lots of looks.  After the conductor left, the kids got up and started dancing again and screeching.  The conductor came back and told them it would be no problem for the police to take them too... 

Oddly enough that put a damper on them and they decided to sit instead of push their luck.  I was surprised.  

Eventually we did start moving again. The girls got off the train at the Natick stop and the boys settled down a bit.  We got back to our station about 45 minutes late. We even got off the train before the boys did.   

And thus endeth our Boston adventure.  

Posted by: Teresa in FUN at 11:56 PM | Comments (1) | Add Comment
Post contains 662 words, total size 4 kb.

June 20, 2011


On Saturday my husband and I (and a few other people) headed to Fenway for a Red Sox game. It’s the first time I’ve ever been to Fenway. We decided to take the train to avoid the parking hassles… then the fun started.

First of all the Bruins did this little thing called winning the Stanley Cup. The Powers That Be decided to hold the victory parade on Saturday. (can't blame them - it was a great day for a parade) 

However, this moved the start of the baseball game from 1:10pm to 7:10pm (it was a TV thing). They had added extra trains for the day, but everything was running late. And the majority of the parade goers were headed back as we were headed into the city.

We had to do a train change at one of the stations because the MBTA in their infinite wisdom does NOT have all trains stop at Yawkey (the Fenway Park stop) on game day… Geeze.

This was one of the first amusing things seen that day. Just click it to make it bigger.

alt text

I’m wondering why handicapped people have to wait out in the shrubbery…

So we get off the first train and we’re all thinking we just stay where we are and the next train will take it from there… but no! That would be too easy. They decided since it was such a crowded day, that the train we needed would arrive on the outbound tracks. This meant the entire crowd of people headed to the ball park had to cross over… yep - up the steps over and down again. Older, less able people had to use elevators so it took a while.

alt text

The rest of the trip in was uneventful. We now arrive at Fenway Park.

alt text

Of course we wanted to eat dinner first. So we jumped into line at the Boston Beer Works. It was horrendously loud in there (next time I’m bringing earplugs!) but the food is excellent. I had a fantastic Steak and Cheese sandwich with the most awesome fries.

alt text

We arrived at the game after Milwaukee had already gone up by 2 runs in the top of the first. This was about the last out of the inning. Yep we were up in the bleachers in the second to last row.  It's a unique vantage point.  Not to mention Boston fans are definitely entertaining - almost more than the game.  Fun.

alt text

The kids sitting in front of us were riveting all by themselves. The chick with the red hair (the back of her head seen in the pic)… is this a new style I missed out on? She was not the only person who had her hair standing on end - a saw an elderly lady with brown hair, but the exact same style!

The blonde chick sitting next to her was even more um… entertaining. As I told one of the guys who came with us… all you need to know is that she is - blonde, has a waterfall ponytail, talks in a baby voice, is waving a foam finger, and has a gangbanger BF next to her. The fact that she had multiple belly button rings and was wearing a belly shirt along with short shorts and a rhinestone belt - was merely icing on the cake. The BF had the flat brimmed baseball cap with the sticky tag on the bill and the droopy pants…

Yes, all in all a fun night at the baseball game. Very memorable. Tomorrow you’ll get the story of the ride home. No pictures, but it was nearly as fun as the rest of the day combined.

Posted by: Teresa in FUN at 10:43 PM | Comments (4) | Add Comment
Post contains 614 words, total size 4 kb.

June 15, 2011

Time to Break Out the Real Victory Dance!

The Boston Bruins have won the Stanley Cup!!!! They were the definite underdogs.  They were going to lose in 4 games.  Vancouver was too good for 'em.

Only problem... the games have to be played and the Bruins decided to play. 

So here's your victory dance!

They'll have to add a verse to the song I think.

Posted by: Teresa in FUN at 11:13 PM | No Comments | Add Comment
Post contains 65 words, total size 1 kb.

June 14, 2011

I Might Have Posted Earlier

Except I can't post anything from my ipad.  It was working for a bit then Pixy must have changed things back.  Ah well, I've been so busy - or exhausted - I didn't quite make it into my office to post on my real computer (which I prefer using in any case). 

Over the weekend we finished our sailing classes.  It was a wild and crazy final - we sailed around Long Island (no not the one in NY, the one in Boston Harbor - ha).   I'm fairly certain our instructor had a bet on with the others as to who would finish first.  So we booked it around that island - most of the time heeled over at a 45 degree angle.  I managed to fall twice (once with the tiller in hand) but didn't go overboard.  Nuns and cans figured heavily into the final day of sailing...

I think we'll be sailing at a more sedate pace and sticking to the inner harbor until we are way more comfortable when we go out on our own.  It was instructive if only to show what the boat was capable of doing.  But it's damned hard to do that when you don't have a good feel for how you need to brace to keep yourself in the right place.

Oh yeah, it was raining most of the time too. This cut down considerably on the harbor traffic which we were very happy about.  We'll make our share of mistakes, but I think we'll be okay.  We'll certainly be doing things much much more leisurely. 

In other news, Microsoft released a big patch blob of code today so do update your systems if that's your flavor of OS. 

Now I'm off to read for a bit.  Have I mentioned lately how much I love my Kindle?  Well I do.  I love all my toys, but the Kindle has made reading easy for me to do again. 

I only got a few pics over the weekend - none from the boat.  I was too busy trying to sail it, or pick up our "man overboard" - we called him Pete - and answer questions.  All in all fun, but lots of work.  My knees will take a while to recover, they are very bruised up. heh.

More later.

Posted by: Teresa in FUN at 09:27 PM | Comments (4) | Add Comment
Post contains 391 words, total size 2 kb.

June 08, 2011

I Can Tell You Why

Saw this headline on my NECN feed

Vermont boating season off to slow start

That would be because they are all sailing around Boston Harbor.  All of them.

Posted by: Teresa in FUN at 11:30 PM | No Comments | Add Comment
Post contains 33 words, total size 1 kb.


You may not know this but the tides in Boston Harbor are around 9.5 ft on average. That’s a lot more than I thought it would be. (no idea why that information surprised me but it did) I got some pics at low tide when we arrived for sailing on Sunday morning. Then again at mid-day. We missed high tide because we were out on the boat. You can see where the high tide marks are on the piers and on the walls, but it’s fun to see the difference in pictures.

Here’s the dock at the Boston Sailing Center. (as always you can click to make ‘em bigger).

The boat named "Katrina” is a Soling the one named "Alex" to the left is a J24.  The Soling is the type of boat we’ve been sailing.

Low tide - you can see the corner on the right is not under water at all:

alt text

About mid-tide you can see the water is half way up to the high water marks.

alt text

This floating dock is pretty cool. We think it belongs to some condos but not sure:

alt text

Later it is definitely riding higer.

alt text

Fun with tides. Tomorrow I might have boats.

Posted by: Teresa in FUN at 11:09 PM | No Comments | Add Comment
Post contains 200 words, total size 2 kb.

June 05, 2011

Sailing... Again

So this weekend was sailing lessons.  We spent the last 2 days in Boston.  Class in the morning, sailing all afternoon.  It's been so fun.  I have a few pics (mostly from shore because the on board pics just didn't work this time).  I'll get to those later this week. 

Right now the only thing I know is that my brain is fried.  Too much concentrated thinking.  Here are a few observations.

- Boston Harbor is really crowded.  Really Really Crowded.
- I'm so glad I bought sailing gloves - they saved my hands.
- I am incapable of wearing loaner foul weather gear without tripping over my own feet. Why yes, I did fall.
- Should've bought the bib pants the first day instead of waiting to see how it went.
- Winds at 10 gusting to 20... seriously? Thank you Mother Nature for making the first 2 days of sailing... interesting. heh
- Weatherhelm - hang on for dear life aka the tiller has a mind of its own and much like a child it will run amok if you let it.
- Did I mention Boston Harbor is busy?  Yeah well... just sayin'...
- On a close run, with lots of wind, you get pretty wet in a Soling
- happy to have my new foul weather bibs for today's sail
- wish my pics of the planes landing at Logan had turned out.  They were flying right over us. It was so cool.
I didn't hit a single: tanker, tug boat, ferry, lobster boat, motor boat, sailboat, tour boat, booze cruise boat, water taxi - not to mention buoys - you all should be proud of me.

Now I'm done for the night - good grief I'm tired.

Posted by: Teresa in FUN at 08:00 PM | Comments (7) | Add Comment
Post contains 294 words, total size 2 kb.

<< Page 1 of 1 >>
50kb generated in CPU 0.03, elapsed 0.0413 seconds.
70 queries taking 0.0203 seconds, 259 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.